If you haven’t heard about Cassava flour, and it’s benefits, let me give you a quick overview.
Cassava is a starchy root vegetable from the American tropics from which cassava flour, breads, tapioca, and other products are made. It's a staple for over 700 million people worldwide and Cassava flour is fast becoming a popular gluten-free, grain-free ingredient in baking. And for good reason!
Here are 3 impressive reasons why Cassava Flour is a great option.
- Firstly, cassava is gluten free, grain free and nut free.
- Cassava is a good source of dietary fibre as well as vitamin C, thiamin, calcium, riboflavin folic acid, iron, vitamin b3, manganese, and potassium.
- Thirdly, cassava flour is a great alternative for baking with a mild flavour and powdery texture, instead of being grainy like some other alternative flours. We have found it works best as part of a gluten free flour mix.
So if you’re after another option for your gluten-free, grain-free baking, cassava flour just may become your new go-to flour.
Grain Free Pumpkin, Choc Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cups of cassava flour (Use Otto's or AKN Organics)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup steamed mashed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup choc chips
How to make the cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Place dry ingredients into your food processor and pulse until combined. Make sure the gelatin is mixed through well
- Add in all of the wet ingredients, except chocolate chips and mix until combined and the dough comes together
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips
- With a spoon drop the golf-ball sized dough onto the baking paper. Gently flatten cookies slightly with your fingers. You can also use a fork. The cookies won’t change shape much while they bake.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack. The gelatin will set as the cookies cool.
Hope you enjoy them.